From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Thanks! (kernel question)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:11:22
1 On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 07:25:34PM -0500, tneidt@××××××.com wrote:
2 > Hello All Gentoo Developers!
3 >
4 > I would like to introduce myself and thank everyone for the effort that
5 > you have put into creating an exceptional GNU/Linux distribution. I
6 > have successfully installed Gentoo on a 900 MHz Anthlon, 128 MB mem, 40
7 > GB hd, a 300 MHz Pentium II, 128 MB mem, 10 GB hd, and even an ageing
8 > Pentium 166 MHz, 16 MB mem, 2 GB hd notebook. I will try and sort
9 > through my notes on getting Gentoo up and running on these machines and
10 > post feedback comments to the group. Hopefully, these will be of use to
11 > someone.
12 >
13 > I noticed that Daniel had added linux-2.4.5-ac5 to the package.mask due
14 > to lock up problems. I have experienced similiar problems after my
15 > kernel was inadvertenly upgraded while upgrading another package
16 > (presumbly before 2.4.5 was added to package.mask). The problem seemed
17 > to be premature and runaway swappage, especially when dealing with large
18 > files. Reviewing the kernel mailing list indicates this to be a known
19 > problem. However, I do not experience the swapping problems with the
20 > 2.4.4-ac5 kernel. This brings me to my long-winded question. The
21 > consensus on the kernel mailing list seems to be that you need to have
22 > swap=2*RAM for 2.4 kernels. Unfortunately, I partitioned my drives with
23 > swap=1*RAM (habit from the 2.2 series I suppose). I would be interested
24 > in how much swap relative to RAM other gentoo users have partitioned
25 > and whether they have been experiencing similar problems. I need to
26 > decide if I should repartition for swap = 2 * RAM now to avoid
27 > problems with future updates to the kernel.
28 >
29 > Once again, thanks for the good work.
30
31 Thanks for the "thank you" :)
32
33 The short answer is that you should be using 2x RAM for kernels in the 2.4.4
34 series (the only ones we are recommending at the moment; our current favorite
35 is 2.4.4-ac9). When 2.4.6 comes out, you should be able to use 1x RAM without
36 problems. But 2x RAM is generally still a good idea.
37
38 Best Regards,
41 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
42 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org