From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QEMU Sick!
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:05:29
1 On Qui, 2009-01-22 at 11:07 +0000, AllenJB wrote:
2 > Mateusz Mierzwinski (me.matheos.org) wrote:
3 > > - No main packages updates.
4 > Define "main packages". If there are packages you know to be out of
5 > date, file a bug at http://bugs.gentoo.org
6 > >
7 > > - No serious Gentoo-Wiki - rewritten after great boom!
8 > Yes, the loss of content on Gentoo Wiki was unfortunate. An offsite
9 > backup system has now been put in place so this won't happen again on
10 > the same scale. Others have scraped Google Cache for most of the old
11 > content and put it up at http://gentoo-wiki.info. Many have been busy
12 > working on articles on the new wiki and it is fast returning to its
13 > former glory (it's even better in some respects IMO - the rewrite has
14 > been an opportunity to correct some issues).
15 > >
16 > > - Portage blocks! - in 2005 there was no blocks, system was stable and
17 > > working with max performance - now blocks are needed - WHY?!
18 > Portage blockers did exist in 2005. What's more, as of portage 2.1.6,
19 > most blocks are now resolved automatically.
20 > >
21 > > - Amd64 have oldest packages developed by devs (much don't work).
22 > This is completely false. I use amd64 on most of my machines and the
23 > only thing I have issues with is Flash - but that's certainly not the
24 > fault of the Gentoo developers.
25
26 I don't know if you are still using the 32bit version of Adobe's flash
27 but if you are, I really recommend using the 64bit Flash 10. It has HUGE
28 improvements in speed (it doesn't look I'm running flash anymore).
29 It's only a alpha version but I find it more stable than previous
30 versions:
31 net-www/netscape-flash-10.0.21.1_alpha
32
33 It might also have a lot of security issues, I don't care though. I use
34 flashblock to run trusted flash content only.
35
36 Just my 2 cents,
37 Greetings all.
40 > > - GLI death! People used GLI! You write OS for PPL, not for Your usage.
41 > The GLI has, in my opinion, been in a poor state since its inception. It
42 > has slowly gotten a bit better, but not enough. In my opinion it should
43 > never have been an icon on the desktop of the livecd. It wasn't ready.
44 > And for whatever reasons, progress on fixing its issues never seemed to
45 > be that good.
46 >
47 > Also, you'll actually find most open source developers are in it to
48 > "scratch an itch". It may seem completely selfish, but it works.
49 > Developers volunteer their time on projects they are interested in. You
50 > can't force people to work on things they aren't interested in in their
51 > free time - it'll never work.
52 >
53 > I also believe there's an alternative project which is replacing the GLI
54 > for what it was intended to be used for. Details of this will be in the
55 > announcement when it is released.
56 > >
57 > > - Stupid ideas about kicking off creator of Gentoo - You using his work!
58 > > That's sucks! Try to rewrite whole portage by Your own then You can kick
59 > > off anyone You like!
60 > No one "kicked off" Daniel Robbins - As far as I know he left of his own
61 > accord. His relatively recent "return" is a long story and another issue
62 > entirely.
63 > >
64 > > - KDE 4.1 packages updates... or should I say - none of it! Latest
65 > > unstable version of KDE 4 is 4.2 version!!!
66 > KDE is being worked on in overlays at the moment. Personally I don't
67 > think it's ready for everyday use yet. I tried the 4.2 SVN versions
68 > recently and it still had many issues.
69 > >
70 > > Check DistroWatch what You done with Gentoo! In 2007 Yr. Gentoo was 7-th
71 > > place, and now?
72 > Distrowatch ranks distros based on page views on its site. It's hardly a
73 > great way to rank distros.
74 >
75 > AllenJB
78 Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>