From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] SLOTs and libraries
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:48:32
1 Hi all,
2
3 I recently ran into an interesting problem:
4
5 One app I have seems to trigger a bug in Python 2.4, so I want to use it
6 with Python 2.3
7 But, as it imports a few python modules I can't use it - the modules
8 only get installed to the most recent Python version.
9
10 From a portage dependency p.o.v it is satisfied - $program needs Python
11 2.3 and (among others) PyCrypto, but PyCrypto is only available in
12 Python 2.4 and fails to import in 2.3
13
14 Now I'm wondering - is there a sane way of handling this that doesn't
15 forcefully remove python 2.4?
16 e.g. could python modules be installed to multiple python versions? How
17 do others (ruby, perl, ...) handle it? For the moment I've "solved" that
18 by package.masking python 2.4, unmerging it and rebuilding all Python
19 modules - less than optimal ...
20
21 Thanks,
22
23 Patrick
24 --
25 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move