From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LICENSE and revbumps
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:38:06
1 On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:17:48 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Should LICENSE changes require a revision bump?
5
6 A licence changes what get's installed, ok the files are the same, but
7 the meaning of having the same files is different. So I say yes.
8
9 > It kinda seems to me the answer should be yes. I don't know if any PM
10 > currently implements LICENSE filtering so there may not be any
11 > technical reason for it yet. And so I guess it comes down to a
12 > philosophical question - what determines the licence(s) a currently
13 > installed package is covered by? My thought is that this would be the
14 > value in /var/db/pkg/${P}/LICENSE, being the LICENSE value at install
15 > time, and therefore a change in the tree requires reinstallation to
16 > change that value.
17
18 Correct.
19
20 > On the other hand, it also seems completely ridiculous from a
21 > practical POV to have to wait 30 days (and waste arch team resources)
22 > to fix an incorrect licence on a stable package.
23
24 I think it should be sensible to make the stabilization request a lot
25 earlier specifying the reason behind the creation of that newer
26 revision in the bug and the stabilization process should be pretty much
27 automatic, without wasting to much time from arch teams.
28
29 On the other hand, I think it would be wise to create an explicit
30 exception for this case in stabilization rules and to allow the uploader
31 of the corrected ebuild to keep the same KEYWORDS instead of
32 downgrading them to unstable.
33
34 Kindest regards,
35 Yuri.