From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SuSE Kernel Sources
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:15:42
1 On 03/10/2003 at 00:20:45(-0700), C. Brewer used 1.0K just to say:
2 > True, there were solid suggestions in the bug, but IIRC most of them
3 > revolved around rpm/rpm2cpio, negating the need for rpm2tgz in the first
4 > place.
5
6 The reason I opened that bug in the first place, is because I didn't want to
7 compile rpm to install icc on a friend's computer. So even though rpm/rpm2cpio
8 negates the need for rpm2tgz, there is a solid reason why we do need a quick,
9 easy, small solution for uncompressing rpms.
10
11 1. feature(gzip + bzip2 + rpmoffset) == feature(rpm2cpio)
12
13 2. size(gzip + bzip2 + rpmoffset) <<<<<< size(rpm2cpio) == size(rpm)
14
15 > Maybe I ( or someone with the time) will work out the hitch in
16 > rpm2tgz.
17
18 What hitch? We've alrady worked around that hitch. However if you read the bug
19 correctly -- there was a suggestion for fixing the rpm2tgz package itself, but
20 Mr.Tse decided to simply fix the rpm.eclass. Which IMHO is a solution good
21 enough as we mostly need to uncompress RPMs in ebuilds.
22
23 > IMHO its bad enough needing to install rpms in the first place,
24 > without adding the rpm program as well. Just a thought:)
25
26 It is *not* a bad idea, and here is why:
27
28 First of all, Gentoo does not "install" rpms. Gentoo doesn't care about
29 dependency information in the rpm, nor does it need to update some freaky
30 database that rpm uses. It only needs the files. So in Gentoo terms -- the RPM
31 package is just a freaky tarball. Why would I need the rpm package to
32 uncompress that freaky tarball if I can go without it?
35 \ Georgi Georgiev \ QOTD: "Everything I am today I owe to \
36 / chutz@×××.net / people, whom it is now to late to punish." /
37 \ +81(90)6266-1163 \ \