From: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:24:17
1 On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 23:08, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:54:11 -0400
3 > Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Anyway, I think it really comes down to the decision of the developers
6 > > maintaining the ebuilds. They're the ones in the best situation to
7 > > choose whether and how a package should be modified for inclusion into
8 > > Gentoo.
9 >
10 > Well, one of the reasons I brought up this concern comes from
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
12 >
13 > In the Larry The Cow poster/image it says;
14 > "He discovered lots of up-to-date packages that could be auto-built using
15 > the optimization settings and build-time functionality that he wanted,
16 > rather than what some distro creator thought would be best for him."
17 >
18 > I would assume from this that packages would be installed without
19 > distro customization. Granted this doesn't say we won't change the
20 > default behavior of programs, but I think it's a logical conclusion based
21 > on the above quote from the website.
22
23 I can understand where you are coming from. However I think that since
24 the Gentoo user base has grown substantially, both in actually numbers
25 and also in the level of Linux proficiency, I think that it is a good
26 thing that Gentoo developers are slightly customising the installation
27 of applications.
28
29 Not everybody is a Linux boffin and Gentoo is attracting its fair share
30 of Linux initiates. Having things configured so that a package works
31 straight away or so that the configuration doesn't shoot users in the
32 foot (or have the potential to cause grief for other users) is sensible.
33
34 Having said that, those that do wish true customisation can still
35 perform all of the steps manually using 'ebuild' and set any
36 configuration options that they wish in that manner. The flexibility is
37 still there.
38
39 Just my humble opinion.
42 Troy Dack Gentoo moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and
43 tad@g.o look around once in awhile, you could miss out.
44
45 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4D90BE3C
46 Key fingerprint = 1F3D 6C15 16AA 09D5 0C96 92E5 FD89 16F9 4D90 BE3C
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list