From: heroxbd <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 05:24:05
1 Dear Fellows,
2
3 Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
4 Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
5 in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
6 protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
7
8 The idea is cool, but not new. The idea is general to all android
9 devices, while Canonical is binding the concept with its own new device.
10
11 The project is developed underground by Canonical, so far nothing, not
12 to say repository, is available except advertisements and the call for
13 people to donate.
14
15 As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
16 Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
17 devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
18 difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
19 of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
20
21 I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
22 community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
23 develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
24
25 I would like to kick out a sub-project of Gentoo targeting smartphone
26 and tablets. It would be nice to find out a solution based on Gentoo for
27 desktop/smartphone hybrid *before* Canonical's release.
28
29 Comments welcome.
30
31 Cheers,