From: Bob Weiner <bob@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 2 build problems with Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc6-r11
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:37:51
1 Hello all:
2
3 I think Gentoo Linux is a great idea and have been anxious to try it. The lack
4 of a BSD-like packages system in most Linux distributions and the very weak design
5 behind the RPM tools and format have been the most frustrating aspects of maintaining
6 Linux systems for me. Last week I had an opportunity to try the 1.0_rc6-r11 release
7 of Gentoo Linux since this was the latest .tgz file available (I don't have a CD
8 burner).
9
10 I found the build/bootstrap instructions are well written but they don't include any
11 information about what to do when problems in package building occur. So far I've
12 encountered two problems:
13
14 1. the m4 package had the wrong URI in it (probably the code has moved). The
15 emerge tool did not report an error in this case but would simply hang. This
16 was a bit difficult to track down because the tool reports only the package
17 which it is fetching but not the full URI from which it is fetching. Additionally,
18 it would be helpful to have a summary of where emerge gets and writes its information
19 to and from. Things to document might include: where the list of dist files is
20 kept, where each package emerge configuration file can be found, where downloaded
21 package source distributions are stored and so forth.
22
23 Fixing the URI did not seem to fix the problem but manually downloading the .tgz
24 and putting it in the right directory allowed the build to continue.
25
26 2. Near the very end of building the 'db' package, a fatal error about some invalid
27 structure type occurs. I have not been able to get past this one and could use
28 any suggested help.
29
30 I am using an old Pentium II box with only 32 Meg of RAM to initially test the
31 Gentoo Linux build process before trying to utilize it on a more modern production
32 machine. I am using an existing ext2 partition and so did not do any new
33 partitioning before embarking on this build.
34
35 Since quite often people will probably build their own releases of
36 Gentoo, one option you might consider adding to the package system
37 during initial configuration is to allow the builder to set an option
38 which, whenever a fatal build failure occurs, e-mails the developer
39 list with key information about the system and the particular build
40 failure. This would lead to much more rapid and complete bug
41 reporting. And since the builder would consciously select this option
42 there is no privacy issue.
43
44 I'm in the mid-down New York City area. If anyone happens to be in
45 the vicinity and might like to work with me on getting a good build, I
46 would much appreciate it (I can offer you emacs or other developer tool
47 assistance in exchange. Once the kinks are worked out, I would be
48 happy to switch all of my machines to Gentoo. E-mail based feedback
49 would be appreciate too; please e-mail directly as I am not on the
50 dev-gentoo list.
51
52 Best regards,
53