From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:38:30
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > 3) EAPI in locked down place in the ebuild
3 > - Allows changing global scope
4 > - EAPI can't be changed in an existing ebuild so the PM can trust
5 > the value in the cache
6
7 I don't see how this follows. The PM can compare the mtime on the file
8 with the time the cache was updated and refresh if needed. Or we could
9 require users to manually refresh the cache if they modify an ebuild.
10
11 > - Does not allow changing versioning rules unless version becomes a
12 > normal metadata variable
13
14 I don't see how this follows. You can put any version in the filename
15 that you like just as with the EAPI in the filename approach. A package
16 manager won't process the filename if it doesn't understand the EAPI.
17 The order of processing for a package manager would be:
18 1. Scan for files named *.ebuild.
19 2. Scan the nth line inside to obtain the EAPI.
20 3. Take further action in accordance with the EAPI - possibly including
21 obtaining the package name/version from the filename, or maybe somewhere
22 else entirely.
23
24 > * Needs more accesses to cache as now you don't have to load older
25 > versions if the latest is not masked
26
27 Why wouldn't you cache every version of a package with its EAPI for
28 reference? I don't follow why this needs more cache hits. However,
29 even if you had to hit the cache more often I don't see why a cache
30 lookup would be expensive. Isn't it stored in a sensible format for
31 rapid random access?
32
33 My preference is obviously for embedding the EAPI inside the file in
34 some manner. My second preference would be for only changing the file
35 extension on rare occasions that are individually approved by the
36 Council when things need to change dramatically, as opposed to any time
37 the EAPI changes.