From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:58:38
1 Alexander Berntsen:
2 >
3 > Julian,
4 >
5 > would you like to share your experiences with Paludis? My guess is
6 > that Paludis is more predictable in this respect. I.e., instead of
7 > breaking stuff, I expect Paludis to simply give up.
10 Relying on dynamic deps as they are currently implemented simply causes
11 the vdb to enter a broken state after some time.
12
13 If you switch from portage to paludis then, you will encounter a lot of
14 "unsuitable candidates" messages during dependency resolving and will
15 have to figure out that the broken vdb is the reason. Afais paludis does
16 not allow you to randomly break the vdb (or I haven't found the --nodeps
17 option yet).