From: rob@××××××××.uk
To: Barry Shaw <baz@×××××××××××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enewgroup and enewuser suggestion
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:04:59
1 On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 08:59:27AM +1200, Barry Shaw wrote:
2 > Given the fact that sites with large user bases will often have many
3 > UIDs/GIDs that aren't continuous, it would be a good idea if these
4 > functions were coded to check for the existence of a file that contained
5 > reserved (or allowed) ranges of UIDs/GIDs. This would allow maximum
6 > generality in portage, whilst giving end users maximum flexibility.
7 >
8 > I'm willing to code this if its deemed a useful idea.
9
10 I already coded something similar-ish. It allowed you to specify a range
11 of UIDs that portage was allowed to use in make.conf. I sent the patch
12 to vapier and the idea was rejected. Instead portage was changed to only
13 add UIDs under 1000.
14
15 *shrug*
18 rob holland - [ director @ ereet ltd ]