From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 20:53:48
1 On 06/11/2016 07:48 AM, james wrote:
2 > [snip]
3 >
4 > Good/Bad idea, posting proxy-maintainer questions to gentoo-user?
5 > (recall irc does not work for me). Also, it might just spur on other
6 > users to create/maintain a few packages in their own area of interest.
7
8 Anyone is welcome to post to either gentoo-user _or_ gentoo-dev. Ebuild
9 questions are likely more appropriate on gentoo-dev, but if we're
10 talking about a high volume of e-mail, it may suit gentoo-user more
11 since that's the target audience. You'd get a better idea of consensus
12 over there, as there are some devs who aren't subscribed to gentoo-user.
13 It wouldn't be fair for us to form consensus for a mailing list we
14 aren't on. Granted, some of us also hang out on -user. I'm not one of
15 them, but I think your idea to discuss ebuilds and things over a mailing
16 list is good. We already have an avenue for that in the forums and IRC,
17 so the mailing list couldn't hurt.
18
19 The only issue is you'd want to make sure you're getting quality answers
20 from people who know what they're doing. There are many ways to write an
21 ebuild, but a great majority of them are inefficient or not up to
22 Gentoo's standards.
23
24 That said, the idea has merit. Are there others who would rather not use
25 the fora or IRC?
26 --
27 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
28 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
29 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6