From: Chris Frey <cdfrey@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Using stow inside portage
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:23:32
1 Hello friendly developers,
2
3 I looked briefly at the emerge build scripts, and it seems to me that it
4 would be fairly easy to incorporate the usage of stow inside the
5 portage system.
6
7 econf() would need to be changed to read the --prefix directory from
8 a portage-stow configuration file, and tack on the name of the package
9 with version.
10
11 install and uninstall would need to be changed to call stow and stow -D
12 if stow was in the USE flags.
13
14 This would allow people to maintain different versions of the same
15 application on their systems at the same time. Just stow/unstow at will
16 to switch.
17
18 I'm sure there are ebuilds that don't rely completely on econf() and
19 friends, and these would be harder to update. Is there anything else
20 I'm missing?
21
22 Thanks,
23 - Chris