From: "Spider (DmD Lj)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:20:20
1 On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 10:35 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Friday 30 December 2005 01:35, Spider (DmD Lj) wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 19:06 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:53:14 +0100 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
5 > > >
6
7 > > Thats actually viable. For -installed- ebuilds, we simply unpack all
8 > > RDEPEND logic, remove all use flags ( stored, but the use logic is
9 > > removed from the RDEPEND since its already resolved, doesn't need to be
10 > > there. The binary is static already )
11 > >
12 > > Then check vs. the installed SLOT of all RDEPEND packages, and lock our
13 > > current deptree to the package of that SLOT...
14 >
15 > I suggested this last Tuesday..
16
17 No, what you suggested was that for the case of when you depend on a
18 SLOT, then the tree is flattened. My point was for the generic case :
19
20 DEPEND=">=kde-base/kdelibs-3.0" (as many ebuilds look today)
21
22 is then expanded to the current matching SLOT of kdelibs, so even if
23 there -wasn't- a SLOT requirement beforehand, there is one afterwards.
24 >
25 > > I can smell sooo much breakage from this solution. Even though it could
26 > > work : )
27 >
28 > I'm not sure to interpret this as "yet another snide remark" or not so I'll
29 > give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're referring to sets of
30 > ebuilds that require several slots. Before implementing the above, the tree
31 > will be checked for any cases where the above idea will fail.
34 And, I know you're bitter and tangy about uncalled for remarks about
35 portage development, however, by looking at my assumption of suddenly
36 starting to tie packages to SLOT's, yes, I predict massive levels of
37 interesting bugs to start appear, where we get obscure depend-cases of
38 things suddenly causing a rebuild of packages deep inside the tree,
39 which then suddenly spark rebuilds against others in the tree upwards,
40 due to depend atoms flicking the SLOT of one of the bottom libs that are
41 depended upon.
44 Since I also suggested (or tried to convey) the requirement that for a
45 single depgraph ( the graph to package foo) there may never be SLOT
46 collisions for a single lib... So the whole mapped out tree may not,
47 never, contain both >=kde-base/kdelibs-3:3.1 and
48 >=kde-base/kdelibs-3:3.4 .
51 As its the only viable means I see of solving such dependencies, it
52 also seems to be quite prone of breakage. To simply lock down SLOT
53 depends would propbably not cause as much problems, however.
54
55 //Spider
59 begin .signature
60 Tortured users / Laughing in pain