From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed shift of files in the tree of non profiles files into seperate dir
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:37:46
1 On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 03:29:32PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On 27/8/2005 13:34:15, Brian Harring (ferringb@g.o) wrote:
3 >
4 > > Rough filtering stack-
5 > > profiles/package.mask
6 > > /etc/make.profile/package.mask (incremental through subprofiles)
7 > > users package.mask, and users package.unmask
8 > >
9 > > Ordered it in that fashion to show that it's effectively repository
10 > > filtering, profile filtering, user filtering; if you view it as
11 > > seperate entities with filters stacked up (how the rewrite implements
12 > > it), package.mask being repository metadata becomes clear.
13 >
14 > Would it make sense to simply relocate the global package.mask
15 > and package.unmask to the base profile from which all profiles
16 > derive (haven't checked that they all do)?
17 No global unmask;
18 What you're proposing is actually exactly what I'm against; if I
19 choose to use my own profile that's not bound to the tree's profile, I
20 should still have my repository masked by the global profile.mask
21 that's in it.
22
23 Shifting it to base profile forces me to either copy the package.mask
24 (or symlink it, which isn't possible in remote), or do without it
25 (bad, able to hit packages with security holes and stuff that
26 shouldn't be used).
27
28 repository package.mask is a seperate filter from profile filter.mask,
29 basically.
30
31 > Users's data could be placed in the users profile at
32 > /etc/portage/profile instead of /etc/portage, and the concept of
33 > global package mask/unmask as repository metadata would go away.
34 global p.mask is a seperate thing from profile specific p.mask, which
35 is the basis of me wanting it moved out of there :)
36 ~harring