From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/mlt: ChangeLog mlt-0.5.4-r1.ebuild
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:21:14
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> said:
2 > On 08/14/2010 10:29 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > So do I. Fixing your package and you don't even bother to send a
4 > > *ready to go* patch upstream seems like a bit rude to me as well.
5 > > Perhaps, we do have a complete different point of view in this one.
6 > > Recent example is Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn who thanked me for
7 > > fixing his package, asked me to attach the patch so *he* can send it
8 > > upstream. I thought that was the *default* policy. Anyway. I should
9 > > talk to each maintainer separately when I fix his package. Seems to
10 > > me is the best approach
11 >
12 > My two cents. In my opinion, whether a commit is good or not depends
13 > on whether it left Gentoo as a whole in better or worse shape than
14 > before it was made.
15 >
16 > Here it sounds like we had QA problems before the commit, and no QA
17 > problems after the commit. Maybe the maintainer has some work to do
18 > now, but he had it to do anyway, and the maintainers have less work to
19 > do now than they did before the patches were made.
20 >
21 > Now, if he had broken something due to a sloppy commit I'd be more
22 > concerned.
23 >
24 > Many hands make for lighter work. The best way to have many hands is
25 > to make individual tasks easier. 1+1+1+1+1 is going to happen faster
26 > than 3+2, since nobody ever gets around to doing 3.
27 >
28 > If we give devs an ultimatum like "fix it all or don't fix anything"
29 > guess which one they'll pick?
30
31 exactly. maybe the maintainer has to do some catch up work, but thats ok.
32 the aim is to improve the tree and not for QA to do the work of the
33 maintainer.
34
35 perhaps there is a lesson here though: if the bug isnt closed as soon as
36 the patch has hit the tree, but its subject changed to 'push QA patch
37 upstream', then it is clear what is left to do.
40 > Rich