From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:48:06
On 03/14/2012 16:55, Zac Medico wrote:

>> Deprecation of this practice would mean that people could type >> /bin/command instead of /usr/bin/command in situations where absolute >> paths are necessary. We could symlink things in /usr to rootfs for >> compatibility with legacy software. In a more extreme case, we could >> symlink /usr to /, which would make plenty of sense given that we do not >> need a separate /usr at all. > > I'm not seeing any compelling benefits here that would justify a lack of > conformity with other *nix distros. It seems almost as though it's an > attempt to be different for the sake of being different, perhaps a > symptom of something like NIH syndrome.
Gentoo, by its very nature, has always been regarded as somewhat non-conformist. When Gentoo first popped onto the scene, most other distros didn't do colors in the terminal. We did. And it all branches out from there. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic