From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: David Shepard <daveman@××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: how blindfriendly is Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:40:24
1 David Shepard <daveman@××××××××××××.net>, on Tue Jul 09, 2002 [10:49:26 AM] said:
2 > The new -AC patches have the speakup patches as well.
3 >
4 > --David
7 > On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 10:35, Troy Dack wrote:
8 > > Paul wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Hi;
11 > > >
12 > > > I wonder if anything ever came of this blind persons
13 > > > comments? (seemed a reasonable request...)
14 > > >
15 > > > http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-June/012933.html
16 > > >
17 > >
18 > > Emerge the mjc-sources, IIRC they have the Speakup patch(es)
19 > >
20 > > --
21 > > Troy Dack
22
23 Hi;
24
25 That is great, but it doesnt address the problem of having Speakup in
26 the boot kernel on the install image, so it can be used to install the
27 system.
28 Scott is volunteering:
29
30 Paul
31 set@×××××.com
32
33 -===-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
34
35 Forwared Message:
36
37 From: Scott Howell <showell@×××××.net>
38 Subject: Re: how blindfriendly is Gentoo?
39 To: Paul <set@×××××.com>
40 Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:08:32 -0400
41
42 I guess this was partly a response to my message from a bit back. I know
43 folks are quite busy. As far as making Gentoo speech friendly right off
44 is to merely patch the kernel with Speakup from http://www.speakup.org.
45 I can do this if you can tell me how to get my hands on the tree you all
46 build the boot cd or disk from.
47
48 Also the only other requirement, sorry two requirements are these.
49
50 1. The speakup keymap must be loaded to get the review key functions and
51 the keys that are affected are the num-pad keys and the keymap is based
52 on the US English keymap.
53 2. you must during the kernel compile say yes to Speakup, no to all of
54 the synthesizers and finally have the ability to at a lilo or whatever
55 boot prompt type in something like,
56
57 linux speakup_synth=ltlk
58
59 which is the kernel image name as you know speakup_synth a kernel boot
60 parm and then the four letter designation given for each of the
61 supported synths.
62 I'd be happy to help in any way I can so let me know. Its easier to try
63 to build this funtionallity into the existing configuration so as not to
64 have to maintain to many separate images, but maybe that would work best
65 I don't know.
66
67 tnx Scott