From: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:14:53
1 On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:04:29 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > what's the reason for dhcpcd being in the system profile
7 > (default-x86-1.4 at least, haven't checked the others)? If it's only
8 > because it might be used in /etc/conf.d/net I think it should be
9 > removed, as there are IMO many users who don't need/want dhcpcd on
10 > their systems. I know there are a lot of people using dhcp for their
11 > network config, but why should that impose it on people not using it
12 > (e.g. I only need it on one of my three boxes)?
13 > Of course if I miss something obvious here please correct me.
14
15 Ok, it seems most people like dhcpcd being part of system. Then let me
16 ask another question: Is there a way to get rid of packages in system
17 that works with world upgrades without creating my own local profile?
18 Making my own profile probably isn't difficult, but it needs to be
19 maintained. And all I want is to get rid of 2 or 3 packages that I don't
20 need/want to be installed.
21 If there is no such way maybe it should be implemented, or is there a
22 reason not to do it?
23
24 Marius
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list