From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:00:59
1 On 22/08/21 22:14, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Yes! It is time to finally deprecate eudev! sys-fs/udev now builds
5 > under musl! My original purpose for maintaining eudev was because
6 > systemd + musl did not play well together when udev was absorbed into
7 > the sytemd repo. Now thanks to patches from openembedded, they do, and
8 > my original reason for maintaining eudev is no longer valid. So its
9 > time to retire eudev. It has served its purpose as a stop-gap.
12 Upstream systemd is still prone to use any glibc-only api they find
13 interesting and any gcc-only feature they deem useful (as seen in a
14 recent discussion on the musl ml this month).
15
16 OpenEmbedded shares, hopefully, all our requirements regarding libc and
17 compiler so it is good to work with them, assuming maintaining the
18 patchset on top of udev is simpler than adding the udev changes on top
19 of eudev.
20
21 In both cases it is lots of work and I'm grateful to the people that are
22 willing to put effort in supporting standard libcs and alternative C
23 compilers :)
24
25 lu