From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEW: split portage/repoman releases now in the tree
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 13:19:06
1 On 16/05/16 02:39, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > portage-2.3.0_rc1 and repoman-2.3.0_rc1 are now in the tree.
3 w00t :D
4 > portage-2.3.0_rc1 is essentially the portage 2.2.28 release with only a
5 > few small patches applied. It mostly just installs less code, namely
6 > the repoman code.
7 >
8 > So, now servers and other systems that do not require repo Q/A ability
9 > will no longer get repoman installed anyway.
10 >
11 > repoman-2.3.0_rc1 is the stage2 rewrite code. The checks are now
12 > modular, and using the portage plugin system. The system is not yet
13 > fully plug and play. Those changes will take place in the stage3
14 > re-writes.
15 Sounds promising :]
16 > The two packages will remain in the same portage git repo, although the
17 > repoman code has been moved into it's own pkg directory. It is too
18 > tied into portage api's to be on it's own just yet. An that
19 > is not likely to happen until we get a stable portage API. This new
20 > system does allow for semi-independant releases for both repoman and
21 > portage. When important API's change, it will require both to be
22 > release at the same time. So you can look forward to seeing the minor
23 > version number to get more frequent bumps than it has this last decade.
24 >
25 > Currently, the portage ebuild does not RDEPEND on the repoman ebuild.
26 > You will have to explicitly emerge it for it to be installed. It has
27 > been suggested to add a use flag enabled RDEPEND (default on) for the
28 > dev profile. I will also be adding that to the portage-9999 release
29 > for all profiles in the coming days.
30 'repoman' use flag for portage? something I'll need to add, since I
31 don't make (proper) use of profiles ..
32 > NOTES: Repoman now depends on lxml for it's xml parsing and error
33 > checking along with now using metadata.xsd. It now will report a lot
34 > more errors than the previous buggy code everyone has been using.
35 Uh-oh, breakage alert .. you mean repoman now enforces more rules, I
36 like .. :D
37 > I want to thank the following people for their help and contributions
38 > to make these releases:
39 >
40 > Zac Medico <zmedico>
41 > Alexander Bernsten <bernalex>
42 > Dirkjan Ochtman <djc> for the base xml re-write code
43 > Michal Gorny <mgorny> for the metadata.xsd changes
44 > Göktürk Yüksek <gokturk> for the metadata.xml test ebuilds
45 > patches.
46 > Mike Gilbert <floppym> for all the testing on the rewite code,
47 > and a number of gen-b0rk repo test ebuilds.
48 >
49 > Coacher for the recent testing, bug reports and patches.
50 > And anyone else I missed ;)
51 >
52 > So, please report any issues with either the ebuilds or installs, bugs,
53 > etc... you know the drill ;)
54 >
55 > Don't forget, please contribute more test case ebuilds to the gen-b0rk
56 > repo. The better the test ebuild coverage we have, the better our Q/A
57 > tools (like repoman) will be and the less often things will be released
58 > broken.
59 >
60 > Thank you
61 Great job to Brian and all the other contributors! Keep up the good work.
62
63 Did we find a mechanism to trap updates to the EAPI not being in sync
64 with portage updates necessarily (I found an edge case bug #577546 - zac
65 has already given some useful thoughts)?
66
67 MJE