From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Drop EAPI=0 requirement for system packages.
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 03:07:36
1 On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:53:15 +0200
2 Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The EAPI=0 requirement comes from having to provide an update path for
5 > systems with a package manager without EAPI support. By now we are
6 > talking about really ancient systems and it's questionable if there is
7 > any merit in supporting such.
8 >
9 > Further the situation is that some of the maintainers of must be EAPI 0
10 > ebuilds already moved on as the majority of users will profit from a
11 > bump. As a result the clean upgrade path is already borked and the
12 > value of keeping others at EAPI=0 deteriorates further and further.
13
14 Yeah as soon as python went it was pretty much pointless. I don't see any
15 value in forcing system packages to EAPI 0 anymore. Everything you're saying
16 makes sense to me at least.
17
18 I'd argue against deprecating EAPI 0 any time soon though. Killing EAPI 1
19 would be a better idea.
23 gcc-porting
24 toolchain, wxwidgets we were never more here, expanse getting broader
25 @ gentoo.org but bigger boats been done by less water