From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:33:38
1 On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 11:57 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Basically... why?
3 >
4 > I'm neither advocating being different to be different, nor following
5 > others so howtos about their stuff fit to ours. I'm after
6 > the underlying reasons why general users should be using syslog-ng over
7 > metalog in contrast to the fact we've recommended metalog as long as
8 > I've been around. That and I happen to like metalog's layout,
9 > strangely enough ;)
10
11 Actually, we've been recommending syslog-ng for *at least* the past two
12 releases. The only thing that was never changed was the virtual.
13
14 > I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
15 > default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
16 > /var/log/messages" :)
17
18 Besides the /var/log/messages thing, which I think is a non-argument,
19 there is syslog-ng's ability to be usable by anyone. It works great for
20 servers, it works great for desktops. It works as a loghost. It works
21 for remote logging. Essentially, it has all of the features that users
22 would want. It also has all of the features that administrators would
23 want. It is flexible and powerful.
24
25 It has also been the recommended system logger since 2005.0 (I just
26 checked).
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
31 Games - Developer