From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:21:14
On Wednesday 28 June 2006 12:47, Mivz wrote:
> So that would not be when a stage 3 install cd for the Overlay tree is > published? Because that cd contains binary precomplied packages.
Well, IANAL and as Stuart said the last word is up to trustees, but from my understanding, as long as the overlay contains only ebuilds, it has to be treated as a source-only repository. In the moment you release a stage or a CD out of that overlay, you have to comply to GPL for the ebuilds, which means that the overlay has to be available, and for the GPL software released in the stage/CD. The main difference that I can see from Debian (and based distributions) is that their packages are built out of the original sources (that might and might not be GPL) and their debian/ directory (that is GPL). As I said, IANAL and I'm speaking only for myself not for anyone else. I only try to apply some logic to the text of GNU's GPL... although seems like logic is overestimated with some people as we now see, unfortunately. If we have to resort to lawyers just to get a distro going, I think there's something entirely wrong with what the free software is today. -- Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE