From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Disable --autounmask auto-unmasking keywords / masks by default
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 02:45:43
1 On 10/9/19 4:53 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > One of the recurring problems we face in #gentoo is end users coming
3 > to us with confusing problems, and their problems are exacerbated
4 > because their default workflow ended up with them unmasking some **
5 > version of perl.
6 >
7 > There is already a bug for this behaviour [1], and comments say that
8 > portage doing this is "a bug", but the situations which it occurs in
9 > are hard to diagnose what the "real problem" is.
10 >
11 > Much of the time, what has occurred is there was some other problem,
12 > and portage bodged its way around the real problem by choosing a
13 > solution that should be considered unacceptable, instead of presenting
14 > the real problem.
15 >
16 > Some of the time, the cause is as simple as a single package being
17 > installed that isn't in the @world dependency graph any more, which is
18 > tripping up portage slot-rebuild behaviour.
19 >
20 > In practice, what this currently means is that stable users end up
21 > installing *developmental/experimental* packages that exist only for
22 > experts and gentoo maintainers, and this is an unacceptable resolution.
23 >
24 > If this behaviour was being triggered by anything other than portage's
25 > dependency resolver failing, it would be considered a serious QA
26 > violation.
27 >
28 > Its understood that portage maintainers want to "fix" this behaviour so
29 > the problem doesn't occur, but until that can be done, the present
30 > default behaviour is actively harmful, and I suggest it be disabled by
31 > default until it can be guaranteed to give the right results.
32 >
33 > 1: https://bugs.gentoo.org/658648
36 I'd prefer to disable --autounmask by default and include warnings about
37 harmful behavior in the documentation.
38 --
39 Thanks,
40 Zac