From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] client+server packages - build which one?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:16:18
1 Some packages provide both a client and a server. As such, users usually only
2 want one or the other - and rarely both.
3
4 A good candidate is net-misc/dhcp as it installs a DHCP client and server.
5 Which makes no sense really, so I'd like to put some USE flags here to show
6 what I want, or not want to build.
7
8 A quick scan through the use flags show no real consistency, so here's what I
9 propose
10
11 USE client server
12 client - just build the client - duh
13 server - just build the server - duh
14 client and server OR neither then build both.
15
16 Other packages to possably beneift
17 udhcp
18 mldonkey
19 samhain
20 bacula
21 boxbackup
22
23 Interestingly, many packages have a server USE flag but not a client one -
24 maybe make both a global USE flag?
25
26 Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?
27
28 Thanks
31 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
32 Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list