From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CI services for Gentoo & Social Contract meanings of "dependant" notifications on depgraph breakages
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:41:33
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > >> Jenkins, Buildbot and others are existing libre options in this
3 > >> ecosystem, but aren't keeping pace with development.
4 > >
5 > > Politics that somehow matter usually require compromise.
6 > >
7 > > The (rhetorical) question is, what is most important?
8 ..
9 > The only choices we actually have in front of us are status quo, or
10 > less-than-libre tools.
11
12 Right, that's where compromise starts.
15 > The status quo is becoming painful enough that people are fairly
16 > desperate to get away from it.
17
18 Yeah, desperate for perceived progress possibly at the cost of
19 possibly going against project politics. Liberty and security bla
20 bla, it's all old news, and "people" will always do what they have
21 always done. That's why I consider my question a rhetorical one.
24 > The status quo isn't entirely libre either.
25
26 Certainly true, but I don't think that's intentional, as with
27 corporations.
30 > If people want pure-FOSS tools, they need to make it happen.
31
32 Selfless work lives on moral support among a few other things.
35 //Peter