From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-text/cuneiform
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:40:50
1 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > The masks are sort of announcements as you have 30 days to revert that
3 > decision.
4
5 You don't seem to recognize the quite significant psychological
6 impact of you having already made the decision, compared to, say,
7 having an actually inclusive package removal process.
8
9 Bugzilla does not count as inclusive in this case.
10
11 I mean something like a process where users who have this package
12 installed are notified about the change in status, as opposed to
13 having to monitor a developer mailing list or portage.mask in order
14 to get those news. It would probably be a part of emerge --sync.
15
16 I think that might do far more good than any web page.
17
18 You might argue that such a thing is completely outside your
19 department, but please consider that what you do can't be seen
20 in isolation, because users don't care at all about the isolated
21 particulars which result in their package being masked and cleaned,
22 they just see that the package is gone one day. You should care
23 because what you do is the trigger for that user experience.
24
25 Improving UX should be your priority too, even if it isn't formally
26 part of what you do. (Should be everyone's priority.)
29 //Peter