From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed shift of files in the tree of non profiles files into seperate dir
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:38:32
1 On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:27:34PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > This could still be done under profiles. Personally, I like the idea of
3 > something more like this:
4 >
5 > project/os/arch/version for profiles
6 >
7 > This would give us something like this:
8 >
9 > default/linux/x86/2006.0
10 > default/freebsd/alpha/2006.0
11 > hardened/linux/amd64/2006.0/2.4
12 > hardened/freebsd/x86/2006.0
13 > uclibc/linux/mips/2006.0/cobalt
14 > server/linux/x86/2006.0
15
16 I like...
17 That's pretty much what I'm aiming for; not after forcing *you* to do
18 server/etc, just would prefer to see it structured so that others can
19 do so.
20
21 That said, initial email was worded a bit strongly, so pardon ;)
22
23 > > Two scenarios for how this will result in visible issues for people-
24 > > 1) CVS users, aka, devs. Devs *should* be running latest portage,
25 > > which would know about the shift. If they're running an older
26 > > portage version and aren't willing to upgrade, they tag the
27 > > symlinks themselves. It's a minor annoyance frankly; assuming they
28 > > read -dev (like they're suppossed to :P ), they'll know in advance
29 > > it's coming.
30 >
31 > Many devs use the latest stable versions of packages rather than testing
32 > versions. I tend to find this to be a good thing as there are often
33 > bugs in particular combinations of package versions that aren't
34 > necessarily spotted when running all ~arch.
35 >
36 > Also, devs are not required to read or even be subscribed to -dev.
37
38 Agreed. Implicit in all this is that I'm going to have to make a bit
39 of noise (and probably attempt and get it shoved out via gwn) prior to
40 doing it, so that I don't have ~100 devs who didn't hear the news
41 looking in my direction.
42 ~harring