From: cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:43:24
1 Hi all,
2
3 I think it's worth to discuss the `behaviour of removing ebuilds from
4 the tree`.
5
6 In my opinion, ebuilds are removed too soon, i.e. if an ebuild gets
7 updated
8 the older ebuild gets removed in the same turn. In my opinion, it is
9 better to
10 keep the older ebuild around for a while since if there are some bugs
11 in the
12 newer ebuild, users are able to downgrade easily.
13
14 My suggestion is to set up a guidline similar like it exists for
15 marking the ebuilds as
16 stable (4 weeks).
17
18 Probably, a time period for removing ebuilds would be nice to have, I
19 think
20 2 weeks would be reasonable if there aren't any known bugs of the
21 newer ebuild.
22 Of course, if the newer ebuild has bugs, which do not exist in the
23 older ebuild
24 the older ebuild should still be kept to let the user be able to
25 choose, which version
26 they want.
27
28 What do you think?
29
30 Cheers,
31
32 Cecilia
33
34 PS: other topics to be discussed `Not to modify ebuilds which are
35 already in the tree... even if masked` what do you think?
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list