From: Peter Gordon <codergeek42@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Gentoo's Social Contract & Bugzilla (was: "Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August")
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:33:15
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > If we could get a license donated, my vote would be to switch to Atlassian
3 > Jira, http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira. It seems to be gaining
4 > mindshare rather quickly, and the company I work for just shelled out $2,400
5 > because they liked it so much more than RT/Bugzilla. I believe it supports
6 > multiple DB backends, including all the usual suspects.
7
8 Maybe it's just me, but I think that having such a core component of the
9 distribution be proprietary is in complete violation of Gentoo's Social
10 Contract[1] (if not the letter of it, then its spirit of openness). It
11 states:
12
13 "Gentoo will never never depend upon a piece of software or
14 metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License,
15 the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
16 Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the
17 Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
18
19 Isn't this one of the driving reasons why our forums run phpBB instead
20 of something like vBulletin, for example? :)
21
22 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
23 --
24 Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
25 Gentoo Forums Global Moderator
26 GnuPG Public Key ID: 0xFFC19479 / Fingerprint:
27 DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479
28 My Blog: http://thecodergeek.com/blog/