From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rcscripts ... developer comments ?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:36:05
1 On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 01:35, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 01:20, Sebastian Werner wrote:
3 > > Is this documented anywhere? I have always add the .net-services to default... mhh.
4 > >
5 > > But i don't like to manually put them in the local script. I think they must be started like any other script in /etc/init.d
6 > >
7 > > And why depends samba, apache and so on on a active network-device? I think net.lo must be ok for these scripts - or?
10 > As far as I know, it is because some services checks what
11 > interfaces is up on startup, and binds to them. If you
12 > up anything else afterwards, they do not bind to them, except
13 > when restarting the service. bind is an example if I am not
14 > mistaken.
15 >
16 > Just thought of it, but maybe a better way of doing it, is
17 > that when stopping a net.* service, check if any other net.*
18 > services is up, and if so, restart those that depends on
19 > 'net', else just stop them.
22 Any developers have comments on this ? Maybe reading the
23 whole 'rcscripts' thread will clear things up if unsure.
26 Greetings,
30 Martin Schlemmer
31 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
32 Cape Town, South Africa