From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmask >=net-p2p/bitcoin*-0.21.1
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:09:04
1 On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:31 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Maybe I'm overthinking it due to all the attention bitcoin has received
4 > lately in Gentoo. But yeah, we haven't received any comments or bugs
5 > about the mask so I guess it's fine to remove it finally. I still kind
6 > of do think a news item wouldn't be the "wrong thing to do" either, but
7 > don't wish to prolong this process any further.
10 My two cents: bitcoin should work the same as any other package with
11 updates. Any package update could do something you don't want it to
12 do. That's why you have --pretend, and the ability to impose your own
13 masks.
14
15 Any package can of course issue news but it isn't very typical for
16 packages to issue "release notes" in advance for every single update.
17 Upstream of course often has them, and people who want them can just
18 subscribe to the upstream lists.
19
20 If somebody isn't interested in following upstream they probably
21 aren't interested in vetting every single release, and I'm guessing
22 that being 2 versions behind on everything is going to cause them and
23 the network more harm than good. If you actually want to participate
24 in some fork of the network I fully support your right to do that, but
25 it shouldn't really be the default behavior of a package (and as I
26 understand it that is basically what happens if you aren't running a
27 version that supports some feature when that feature becomes
28 mandatory/etc).
31 Rich