From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting version-related tree policies
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 19:08:39
1 >>>>> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > == Policy changes? ==
4 > I think that the following new policies could make sense:
5
6 > 1. Revision number must be no longer than 9999:
7 > 1a. to make <=X-r9999 reliable,
8 > 1b. to prevent pathological uses of revision as date.
9
10 I think that we should consider restricting revisions to 4 digits.
11 Real revisions (i.e., counted up from r0) in the tree seem to end
12 somewhere around r30. Even with r100, r200 for different slots, a
13 limit of 9999 shouldn't pose any problems. For date based versions,
14 _pre or _p should be used, but not revisions.
15
16 Note that this would be tree policy only (similar as the maximum
17 length of 18 digits for version components is), but _not_ a
18 restriction to be put in PMS.
19
20 > 2. I think we could use a policy to make >=X_alpha reliable.
21 > However, I have no clue how to word it without making it weird and
22 > artificially restricting valid version numbers.
23
24 Or rules concerning multiple suffixes are simple and straight forward,
25 and they don't appear to be abused. Therefore, I would leave them
26 alone.
27
28 Ulrich