From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:36:07
1 On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Once I had stupid cut&paste mistake and entered wrong credits in
5 >>> ChangeLog. I don't see how to resolve this issue in case
6 >>> ChangeLog's will be generated from git log and until somebody
7 >>> suggests how to edit ChangeLogs generated from git I think have to
8 >>> keep ChangeLogs in gentoo-x86.
9 >
10 >> I didn't know that editing existing ChangeLog entries manually was
11 >> an accepted practice with CVS. Even if it was to correct typos or
12 >> something else.
13 >
14 > So far, the ChangeLog is just a normal file. So why should it be
15 > forbidden to edit it and correct mistakes? Examples are wrong or
16 > forgotten credits, or wrong bug references. It is a service to our
17 > users that such information is accurate.
20 So, such changes; where would you document them? Would you ChangeLog
21 an edit to the ChangeLog? CVS log is not an option for documenting
22 anything; access to it is slow, quirky, and time-consuming.
23
24 From my PoV, editing ChangeLog is like editing history. Complete no-no.
25
26 Of course, all of this goes out the window with git since access to
27 the log is trivially quick.
30 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
31
32 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team