From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: waltdnes@××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:40:59
1 On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 19:41:39 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > In my 3 gig /usr directory, over 2 gigs are devoted to
5 > Gentoo-specific stuff that a binary distro like Redhat does not
6 > require. What do we do if /usr is read-only? Symlink or bindmount
7 > onto it?
8
9 Remount read/write whenever necessary (i.e. when doing administrative
10 tasks).
11
12 > And sharing binaries does *NOT* work in Gentoo, unless *EVERYBODY*
13 > has *IDENTICAL* machines, or else you drop down to the lowest common
14 > denominator. That's one of the main points about Gentoo. We don't
15 > use generic i686 code, we use code optimised for our machines. I'm
16 > not a "Gentoo ricer", but here's a prime example... a 3 and 1/2 year
17 > old Dell Dimension 530 with an onboard Intel graphics chip. Right
18 > after the initial install (i686 code from the install CD), the
19 > onboard graphics could not handle NHL Gamecentre Live fullscreen
20 > (1920x1080). There would be constant stuttering. After I emerged
21 > system and world with "-march=native -O2 -mfpmath=sse", it handles
22 > NHL Gamecentre Live fullscreen, and even a 1080p movie clip
23 > downloaded from Youtube. Fedora with generic i686 code would not
24 > work for me.
25
26 Sharing is usually useful when everybody actually has identical
27 machines. Also, there's '-mtune' switch in gcc.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny