From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:30:16
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:54:25 +0000 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Starting with catalyst 2.0.10, make.conf and make.profile will be moved
5 > from /etc to /etc/portage.
6
7 As with other app-focused news items, if it were a catalyst-user-focused
8 change, you'd set the filter accordingly. The fact that you're
9 deliberately not doing so should correspondingly mean deliberately not
10 mentioning catalyst either, as many in the target audience will have no
11 clue what catalyst actually is. (For that matter, don't mention releng
12 either. Just stages, users know what STAGES are! =:^)
15 Users want to know what's changing (the location of make.conf, but ONLY
16 in new stage tarballs), where it's changing to (/etc/portage/), when it's
17 changing (don't say with whatever catalyst version, users don't care, say
18 when, with stage snapshots built after July 30), and how it affects
19 existing installations (existing users can continue using the old
20 location for the foreseeable future, but can move it to the new location
21 if necessary; if both locations exist, say which overrides).
22
23 Meanwhile, a general suggestion I've made for other news items as well.
24 It doesn't yet really apply here, but could once the elsewhere suggested
25 details of which one overrides if both are present, possible coverage of
26 make.profile, etc, are covered:
27
28 News items are ideally short and to the point. Think of the teaser
29 paragraph under a newspaper headline or on many rss/atom feeds, directing
30 you to the main article for more. If they'd end up more than a paragragh
31 including details, shorten it to a single descriptive paragraph and add a
32 link to an article with the details. That way you can keep the news item
33 short and to the point, while properly covering the details without
34 having to worry about space constraints, elsewhere.
35
36 (FWIW, between the thread title saying make.conf but the proposed news
37 item focusing on catalyst, and the already fixed postfix flub, I was
38 REALLY confused with the first version, and only with this version
39 understand it even well enough to make this observation in the first
40 place. And unlike many gentoo users, I actually know what catalyst is!
41 Unlike me, they won't have the postfix mistake thrown at them, but also
42 unlike me, likely won't have a clue what catalyst is, so I'd guess the
43 confusion level with the current wording would remain similar... so
44 totally confused they have no idea what the news item is actually trying
45 to say!)
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman