From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: patches.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:43:35
1 On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 04:10:24PM -0400 or thereabouts, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > Immediate availability via the "secondary" host while the primary
3 > host has yet to receive the files. Once the file is present on the
4 > primary mirrors it may be deleted from the secondary.
5
6 Rather than trying to write a semi-intelligent script that will make a
7 determination on whether or not a file has made it to the main mirrors
8 before deleting, I'd much rather just say "all files will exist for N days
9 and then be deleted".
10
11 If a file doesn't make it to all our mirrors within 24 hours, there's a
12 larger problem. Thus, I'd suggest making N = 3 and leaving it at that.
13
14 > Ensuring that the patch host is not the primary mirror will be a
15 > concern, but a script can be devised to ensure duplication of
16 > the patchname and that a primary mirror is listed prior to it.
17
18 This logic should be added to repoman if it's added anywhere. Also, by
19 keeping N=3, devs will quickly learn NOT to use this location as a primary
20 mirror once they start getting deluged with bug reports about SRC_URI being
21 broken.
22
23 > The host for the files should not be accessable for any reason
24 > except direct filename downloads. No listings (to discourage
25 > setting it as a mirroring source).
26
27 Great idea -- agree 100%.
28