From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How to stabilize packages with frequent release cycles?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 06:42:59
1 Hi,
2
3 The regular stabilization workflow works for the majority of packages.
4 However, it makes little sense for packages with frequent release
5 cycles. Examples of these are boto3/botocore (daily release cycle) or
6 hypothesis (upstream conflates commits with releases).
7
8 When the latest release remains 'latest ~arch' for less than 3 days,
9 stabilizing it after 30 days makes little sense. After all, people with
10 frequent upgrade cycle will test it for no more than that, and people
11 with infrequent upgrade cycle may miss the version entirely.
12
13 In the end, we stabilize an entirely arbitrary version at an arbitrary
14 point in time, and even if users were willing to give it better testing,
15 they can't guess which version will be the next stable candidate.
16
17 Do you have any suggestions how we could improve this?
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny