From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rc5 - /tmp has no sticky bit
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 06:32:37
1 On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:56:55 -0600 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:45:45PM +0000, Collins Richey wrote:
4 >
5 > > 2) old habits die hard - you forgot to set the sticky bit for /tmp, but chmod
6 > > 1777 /tmp did the trick.
7 >
8 > We have had the sticky bit set on /tmp (in the baselayout ebuild) for a very
9 > long time. If your /tmp directory was created by the baselayout ebuild, then
10 > your sticky bit should have been set too. Could you please try to track down
11 > the cause of this problem, as it isn't a simple case of us forgetting to set
12 > the sticky bit.
15 I did the following things. Unfortunately I didn't check the permissions after each; only when Sylpheed failed to run as normal user:
16
17 1) Standard install from ISO except grub. I use Lilo for everything.
18 2) emerged XFree
19 3) compiled my own kernel from a saved .config
20 4) Booted my reference Gentoo partition(R4), mounted necessary partitions (including R5), updated lilo.conf, and issued lilo. Slso copied over my XF86Config-4 file. Unmounted all partitions except R4.
21 5) booted from R5 (lilo menu)
22 6) passwd to set root passwd
23 7) created /home/collins and adduser collins (group wheel)
24 8) Added collins to the wheel list in /etc/group and passwd collins to set the new password.
25 9) emerged sylpheed (losts of gnome stuff got brought in)
26 10) emerged XFCE
27 11) login as collins; then startxfce
28 12) sylpheed failed to start from run
29 13) issued sylpheed & from term; then I noticed the "bind: permission denied" message.
30 14) emerged netscape (su mode from term)
31 15) tried netscape, and it worked.
32 16) began researching bad permissions I encountered on R4; discoverd the problem with /tmp
33 17) chmod 1777 /tmp, and sylpheed worked.
36 Collins Richey
37 Denver Area
38 Gentoo_rc5 XFCE