From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: llvm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Subslots for sys-devel/llvm and sys-devel/clang
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:42:08
1 On 2020-09-24 12:50, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > That's really weird, point releases should not include breaking
4 > changes. Could you try to figure out why this happens? Also, are you
5 > aware if 9.0.0 vs 9.0.1 had the same problem? Maybe it's one time
6 > upstream screwup.
7
8 Let's hope so, this was very much an unpleasant surprise. Regarding slot
9 9, I do not remember anyone complaining about it - but then again, I
10 think we only began supporting it in opencl-clang after llvm-9.0.1 had
11 already been stabilised.
12
13 > A somewhat ugly alternative would be to ~ dep on specific version and
14 > make revbumps for minor llvm bumps.
15
16 Somewhat ugly indeed, could be worse though - at least
17 dev-util/spirv-llvm-translator and dev-libs/opencl-clang ebuilds support
18 exactly one llvm/clang major version each so no ugly "|| ( ver1:9
19 ver2:10 ver3:11 )" dependencies will be required.
22 Marecki