From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:30:04
1 On 00:42 Tue 08 Jan , Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Anyway, as having a complete dependency tree is almost impossible
3 > because of that, I have an alternative proposal: reducing the size of
4 > the system package set. Right now system contains stuff like ncurses,
5 > readline, zlib, autoconf, automake and m4, perl, gnuconfig, and so
6 > on. Those are packages that certainly would be part of any base Gentoo
7 > system, but are those actual part of the system set of packages? I
8 > sincerely doubt it.
9
10 What is your goal? Is there something you're trying to accomplish that's
11 impossible? It's clear that changing this would be a fair amount of
12 work, and I don't understand the benefits.
13
14 Thanks,
15 Donnie
16 --