From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild design issue regarding some {I need the lib and api only}-DEPENDs
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:48:46
1 On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 10:17 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > 2) ebuild maintenance will be a nightmare- every new version will
3 > require again walking the source to see if the lines you've drawn for
4 > dividing the source are still proper.
5
6 This is another good point. I have two split packages that I maintain.
7 They are ut2004{,-data,-bonuspack-ece} and kudzu/libkudzu. In my case,
8 the distinctions are actually quite easy, as ut2004-data pulls from the
9 CD, ECE pulls from a distfile (or the CD, with lots of detection-fu),
10 and ut2004 is an actual package of the latest patch files, not a
11 meta-package. As for kudzu/libkudzu, the kudzu Makefile already has
12 this distinction built-in, so I don't have to maintain it myself.
13
14 I'd see no problem with this in mysql, if, for example, mysql's Makefile
15 had a "make libmysqlclient" target. In that case, I would make it a
16 separate package. This would also mean a lot of work on your part, as
17 every single package that had a dependency on mysql would now need some
18 way of specifying whether the server was going to be local or remote, to
19 properly *DEPEND on the correct package.
20
21 All in all, I think it isn't worth even attempting at this time.
22
23 > Short version, control what gets installed via use flags, but don't
24 > introduce it until use deps are available in a stable portage.
25 > Breaking the beast up now is short sighted since use deps are
26 > already implemented in the core rewrite. Yes, waiting is a pain in
27 > the ass, but the work to break it up and continue to indefinitely
28 > force subpackaging on an package isn't worth it.
29
30 Agreed.
33 Chris Gianelloni
35 Games - Developer