From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo "Stable" Portage/Releases
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:40:00
1 On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 23:57 -0500, Andrew Muraco wrote:
2 > What I meant to say is, having this alternative tree method (as
3 > described here) would mean that portage would handle everything the
4 > exact same as it already does, which means that if someother tree was
5 > accidently sync'd or replaced the local one, portage would react and
6 > want to update everything, because its not 'aware' that there is a
7 > difference in the first place. (now that I think about it, how likely is
8 > it that something like that will happen?)
9
10 So someone would "accidentally" change the SYNC variable, then
11 "accidentally" run "emerge --sync"? That seems rather unlikely.
12
13 > The method described here would also open up the oppurtunity for "fake"
14 > enterprise trees, without having something to double check that the tree
15 > that we have is indeed the one that is wanted, it would be possible for
16 > a hacked rsync server (or a bogus one) to host the enterprise (stable)
17 > trees with extra ebuilds which could compromise security (/me thinks of
18 > emails warning about Microsoft's patchs and links which point to
19 > infectious websites.)
20
21 What exactly makes the release trees any more vulnerable to this than
22 current portage?
23
24 > Maybe this is something thats not very likely to happen, but it still is
25 > important to note that an enterprise tree has to be secure.
26
27 You will notice that I *never* call it an "enterprise" tree, so don't
28 make that mistake yourself.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
33 x86 Architecture Team