From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:52:48
1 On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 02:42:23PM -0600, Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 02:57:39PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > > We don't even do static allocation.
6 >
7 > > There are a few exceptional cases where a user or group needs a
8 > > > specific identifier; but those were always statically allocated and
9 > > > nothing has changed in that regard.
10 > >
11 > > Doesn't the emerge fail if a different user with ACCT_USER_ID already
12 > > exists on
13 > > the system (unless ACCT_USER_ID is set to -1, which is forbidden by qa
14 > > policy)?
15 > >
16 > > If that's the case I don't see how we aren't doing static allocation.
19 > User PoV when I see a bunch of acct-* packages pop up in emerge @world
20 > updates:
21 >
22 > A bunch of of acct-* ebuilds make claims for specific uid/gid for
23 > applications
24 > that don't have a reason I can think of to be requiring a specific number,
25 > and
26 > would never be used in a way (e.g. NFS-shared /etc) where the numeric
27 > value actually matters.
28
29 That's because qa mandates that any acct-group/acct-user packages in the
30 tree must claim a uid/gid.
31
32 Ultimately, we will run out of uids/gids to claim.
33
34 William