From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] USE_EXPAND variable to choose ALSA PCM plugins
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:52:44
"Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:

> Not sure if anybody here knows, but alsa-plugins is not the only set > of plugins an user installs in its system, many others are installed > by alsa-lib itself, they are the basic plugins like dmix, dsnoop, > iec958, plug... the ones that many asoundrc already make use of. > > Now of course, most of the users need them, and disabling them would > be pretty bad, but again, there are reasons to disable some of them > at least, especially when targetting small embedded devices. > > If nobody has anything against this, I'll add an ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS > variable where users can choose the plugins they want built, to > reduce the amount of code installed by alsa-lib: > > Calculating dependencies... done! > [ebuild R ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14_rc1 USE="-alisp -debug > -doc -midi" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="-adpcm -alaw -asym -copy -dmix -dshare > -dsnoop -empty -extplug -file -hooks iec958 -ioplug -ladspa -lfloat > -linear -meter -mulaw -multi -null plug -rate -route -share -shm > -softvol" 0 kB
I don't think the average user, even the average Gentoo user, has any idea what any of these plug-ins do, how they work, and which ones they need. This is getting a bit too complicated. Is there any way to install everything as we've always done but still provide some way for embedded to do their thing? Keeping the ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS around but putting it in USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN might work. People who want the ability to turn off alsa-lib plug-ins could then do so in make.conf without confusing the hell out of everyone else. ;)