From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:32:17
1 On Friday 16 May 2003 10:37, rob holland wrote:
2 > --On Friday, May 16, 2003 10:35:26 +0000 Chris Bainbridge
3 >
4 > <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >> only one file to diff, which in my mind should be more
6 > >> efficient. no more waiting for the 40000 file list to
7 > >> arrive.
8 >
9 > Seeing as no-one else has piped up yet... :)
10 >
11 > The main problem with using a loopback fs is that we'd then need to require
12 > kernel support for it.
13 >
14 > The main problem with using a tar file and rsyncing that is that we have to
15 > tar/untar the whole portage tree each time. That takes a while (and quite a
16 > lot of space) :/
17
18 Agreed, I came to the conclusion that cvsup was probably most bandwidth
19 efficient for portage, and rgzip/rsync combo for updating distfiles (this
20 would be a godsend for modem users when something like kde gets updated).
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list