From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] RFC - Keywording scheme
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:55:35
1 Hi Grant, Rémi and Yuri,
2
3 On 25-04-2007 20:30:45 -0500, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
4 > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:39:47 +0200
5 > Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Grant Goodyear a écrit :
8 > > > Fabian Groffen wrote: [Sat Apr 14 2007, 03:33:03AM CDT]
9 > > >> For people that like reading it in html or via the web:
10 > > >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/gleps/glep-keywords.html
11 > > >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/gleps/glep-keywords.txt
12 > > >
13 > > > So what would a version of Gentoo for amd64 based on FreeBSD but
14 > > > using glibc be called? (It's not an entirely academic question;
15 > > > Debian folks have worked on such a distribution for some time.)
16 > > > I can't really tell from the text in your proposed GLEP.
17 > >
18 > > I'm sure this GLEP can be extended later on should anyone feel like
19 > > doing a glibc-based freebsd port of gentoo (hurts my brains just
20 > > writing this :) )
21 >
22 > I think it will be better if this scheme is specified in friendlier
23 > way for future expansions, hence I this it should be more flexible.
24 >
25 > I would propose this two modifications:
26
27 [snip]
28
29 > So to give more examples,
30 >
31 > A package that can only be build on arm, sparc and x86 with linux and
32 > glibc or arm with uclibc can be specified as:
33 > "{arm,sparc,x86}:linux:glibc arm:uclibc"
34 >
35 > A package (lets say linux-headers) that makes sense on all systems that
36 > support linux and only them can be specified as:
37 > "linux"
38
39 [snip]
40
41 While I agree that you could be much more explicit in addressing the
42 exact thing that you're dealing with, I chose not to. The rationale
43 here is that the added complexity, as well as the added fine-grained
44 granularity is not necessary for at least now and what I would expect
45 from the reasonable future.
46
47 So in Grant's case, I would like to highlight that the right-hand field
48 of the keyword is an OS thing, not a kernel nor a userland. The reason
49 for this, is that it allows some freedom in what you consider to be OS
50 X (Not the Macintosh thing here). I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD and
51 it's flavours, so I'll talk about Solaris here. The SunOS kernel has
52 these days a few incarnations. OpenSolaris, Solaris, Nexenta...
53 For what we do, it seems that even though Nexenta has a GNU-based
54 userland, we can still address it in the same way as we can do for
55 Solaris, hence we don't need something special there. If we would, we
56 could make a keyword. Often times the setting of ELIBC and KERNEL helps
57 us to make the real decision where we need it (e.g. virtual/libintl),
58 which is set in the profiles, unrelated to the keyword.
62 Fabian Groffen
63 Gentoo on a different level
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list