From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:19:24
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:52:59 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 28/01/2014 14:37, Steven J. Long wrote:
5 > > I concur that "QA should be focusing on making stable, actually
6 > > stable, not more bleeding edge." That's not a "performance" issue
7 > > as you put it, except in management nuspeek. It's the whole bloody
8 > > point of the distro, in overarching terms: to test and stabilise
9 > > robust ebuilds. That process is what leads to better software, not
10 > > staying at the "bleeding-edge" and forgetting about robustness
11 > > since "a new version is out."
12 >
13 > +1
14 >
15 > Nice to see a dev echo my sentiments almost word for word exactly.
16 >
17 > 9 years later I'm still here, still running Gentoo on all my hosts
18 > (over 10 at last count excluding VMs). Why? Because Gentoo
19 > just.works.right.every.single.time, even on ~arch - and that is an
20 > amazing accomplishment for an distro never mind a USE based one.
21 >
22 > If I want bleeding edge I'll use funtoo or exherbo or unmask
23 > everything -9999. If I want the latest new! improved! shiny! crap
24 > re-implemented yet again and badly, there's Ubuntu or nightlies from
25 > rawhide.
26
27 Bleeding edge in this context is ~arch, this is a contradiction.
28
29 > The joy of Gentoo is that it works on just about anything. Stable
30 > well-tested code continues to just work for the most part even on
31 > slacker arches even if the ebuild is years old. When stable is just a
32 > bit too stable for a specific case, we have overlays and
33 > /usr/local/portage/cat/pkg.
34
35 Do you mean unstable?
36
37 > This is why Gentoo works so well, because the weird arches still get
38 > to play on the same playground with the other kids. I work at a
39 > carrier ISP and you'd be pleasantly surprised to see just how many
40 > gentoo-powered vendor POC blackboxes come through the office from
41 > vendors wanting to sell their network magic. Business seems to have
42 > cottoned onto the idea that gentoo let's you stop wasting time with
43 > make and rather fire off emerge, doesn't matter what the silicon is.
44
45 +1 but can you please consider to stay on the topic of this thread?
46
47 > Slow arches is the price for supporting everything out there. But so
48 > what? If slow_arch_X is stuck on some old version of an @system
49 > package, who cares?
50
51 The people whom process gets blocked do.
52
53 > It's not like portage will pick it for an amd64 box. An old ebuild is
54 > a file, it sits next to 178,477 files and does no harm, it only gets
55 > used on hardware that needs it.
56
57 It can harm in the long run, as shown in some of the other sub threads;
58 generalizations like "does no harm" can very well fit as to what you
59 perceive when you would try it out, but it doesn't exclude harm overall.
62 With kind regards,
63
64 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
65 Gentoo Developer
66
67 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
68 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
69 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D