From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:36:13
1 Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > some of you may already have seen the new packages.gentoo.org page,
3 >   https://packages.gentoo.org/
4
5 I had not seen that - that's wonderful!
6
7 I would just request that /packages/ is removed from the start of
8 package URLs. I understand how this makes request routing more
9 complicated, but I consider it a significant usability improvement.
12 ..anyway:
13
14 > I'm suggesting of adding a new metadata flag to our Wiki's
15 > User:/Project: page which then prints a message to this page saying
16 > whether the maintainer (be it project or user), "accepts" or "deals
17 > with" Github contributions. The wording can be a bit better, but it'd be
18 > there to **notify** our **contributors** whether their time and effort
19 > will most likely be wasted making a pull request for this particular
20 > maintainer.
21
22 I think this is a very good feature.
23
24 If I ever do become a proper Gentoo developer I will certainly not spend
25 any time on anything to do with GitHub, and in my current position of
26 occasional contributor I don't either. The workflow imposed by GitHub
27 isn't good and it's important to demonstrate other methods.
30 //Peter